»

Monday, November 14, 2005

The Biigggg Interview

Was on the way to a friend's place yesterday, and got to see this company again. Ok, let me tell about this.
This unwanted interview took place around a month back when it was only 5 days I had joined my present job into IT Marketing. When I was idle I had sent my resume to a MNC Co. belonging to the Finance Industry. My profile satisfied their requirement. (Statistics in Graduation & Finance in MBA…had Marketing too). I had both in my resume.

Let me make it clear to everyone. I hate finance field like anything.

Ok, let me put in Javed’s English as in ‘Salaam Namaste’.
I ........ the hates working in finance fields…..(sorry..)….eeggjhaktly…” (I have become a big fan of his unique English since then, need to take classes).

I had been seeing my dad in that field since childhood & even now…so developed an allergy towards it..allergens being the financial terms. My name was short listed for the written test. Though not interested, I gave the test, which was for one and half hour. Again my name was short-listed!!! Infact I was sure, it would be. I was given the date for the interview. I wished that shouldn’t have happened. Called up 'R', my friend, to say about this & said to him that I won't be going for it, because... not interested in that field.

“Have you gone crazy?? How can u afford to ignore such a big Company & that too an initial package of 2.5- 3 lakhs?? Listen to me, you go & give the interview.. that’s it…
For the respect I have for him, I decided to attend it. Took the leave for half day from my work, waited for an hour, then came my turn. There were 2 interviewers, one, a beautiful young lady and the other a gentleman. They welcomed me with sweet smiles. Finally had a SEAT, on which I never wished to be on. They first made me feel comfortable… as it happens in every interview. After the basic questions were over…..
Interviewer1: Ok Preeti… now shall we proceed with the technical questions of finance??
My heart sank…missed a beat… what all…I very well knew what questions they would be…really..
Interviewer2: What is Capital Budgeting?
I knew the answer to it, and so answered it Jhat Se…(felt amazed at myself for answering it).
I1: What is depreciation?
Wonders and Wonders!!!! Answered this too…
I2: There are 4 methods in depreciation, what are they?
Me: errrrr…. I don’t remember them…(yes, how could I, it was almost one and a half year that I read about it..)
I1: Ok Preeti… try to answer at least two ….
It seemed to me like, if I don’t answer her questions…the company would stop functioning..
Some more questions like liquidity ratio..that ratio..this ratio…forwards, futures, options were fired at me. I answered some and skipped some. That chap even asked me about costing and taxation, which was out of my reach, ‘coz never had that subjects.
After some ‘err…’s & ‘sorry ma’am’, THEY ACCEPTED THE DEFEAT…
I1: Ok Preeti, are you comfortable with marketing?
Me: (happily…) yes ma’am…very much…
They asked 4-6 questions and I answered all of them.
From the time I had sat on that chair, I was looking as to when I will leave it.
“Ok Preeti”, she said, “ if your name is short listed again, you need to come once again…..for the HR interview.
I very well knew that I wouldn’t get selected, because the company doesn’t want to get into losses..
Thanking them, I was out of the “DEN” in a few minutes, didn’t wished to look back, but did so, ‘coz the building was magnificent.

3 comments:

Shanti Kumar said...

Need help how not to get a Job ? Please follow the URL :
http://www.meyerweb.com/other/humor/interview.html

Preeti said...

hey..that URL was good man!!
should have said to me earlier about this, i would use few formulas from them :-)

The Bhandari's said...

cool....... and yeah the link is really funny